Whether you’re going on vacation for a few days or for an extended period, don’t leave home without taking care of a few important details first:
• Set timers on lights, TVs, and radios to give the appearance that someone is at home.
• If you have a security system, be sure to notify your security provider to let them know you’ll be gone.
• Turn your thermostats down to 55 degrees.
• If you’ll be away for an extended period, consider turning off the water to your house.
• Make sure all windows and doors are locked – and leave a key with a friend or neighbor in case of an emergency.
• Remove perishable food from your refrigerator.
• Ask someone you trust to check on your home regularly and have someone cut your lawn or clear snow.
• Stop the delivery of mail, newspapers and packages.
Follow this simple checklist and when you return home, you should find your home just as you left it.