Extension cords are meant for temporary use, but they are often misused. When used improperly, extension cords can cause serious electric shocks, fires, and even death. The following tips can help protect you, your family and your home:
* Before using an extension cord, examine it for any damage.
* Always use three-pronged extension cords, and never connect one extension cord to another one.
* Never run cords through walls, ceilings, floors, or carpeting, and never nail extension cords to walls or baseboards.
* Don’t substitute extension cords for permanent wiring. If you find yourself using a lot of extension cords, it’s probably time to call an electrician to add more outlets.
* Never use interior extension cords outside, and keep outdoor extension cords away from snow or water. There are many different extension cords available for various uses, so always use an extension cord that is properly rated for your intended use… it’s critical to your safety.
There are many different extension cords available for various uses, so always use an extension cord thatmis properly rated for your intended use… it’s critical to your safety.