Sometimes, you just want to enjoy the area from the comfort of your car.
- In Shenandoah County, Routes 42 and 263 will take you through winding mountain roads to Bryce Resort.
- For a great loop drive, take Route 55 west to Route 623 (Back Road) South back to either 600 or U.S. Route 42 North. Either Route 42 or 600 will connect you back to U.S. Route 11.
- Another great loop is Route 11 South to Route 675 West (Stoney Creek Blvd) in Edinburg back to 623 North.
- If you’re traveling south of Woodstock, don’t miss the Meems Bottom Covered Bridge, located just off Route 11 south of Mt. Jackson on Wissler Road. This 204-foot single-span Burr arch truss bridge crosses the North Fork of the Shenandoah Valley.
- The most famous drive in Warren County is the Skyline Drive (http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/driving-skyline-drive.htm), and Front Royal offers its northernmost entrance point.
The Visit Shenandoah Valley website offers a choice of scenic drives and national byways that might be just the thing for a hot summer day: http://visitshenandoah.org/Things-To-Do/Scenic-Drives-National-Byways.aspx. They include:
- Blue Ridge Parkway
- Skyline Drive
- George Washington and Jefferson National Forests
- The Great Wagon Loop drive
- The Roanoke Loop drive