Whether you’re moving across town or across the country, it’s important to explore every opportunity to save money on your move. Here are some cost saving tips.
* Try to avoid moving during the peak summer months of June through August.
* Reduce your belongings by sorting through them to determine which items you can get rid of, sell or donate.
* Research the cost of moving yourself versus hiring a mover.
* If you do use a mover, choose to pack small items yourself.
* Start collecting cardboard boxes for free from retail stores.
* Prepare a step by step moving budget.
* Research the use of storage units or pods.
* Check to see if your moving expenses are tax deductible.
* Consider purchasing additional moving insurance.
* Ask your employer if they will reimburse you for some or all of your moving expenses if your move is job related.
The best way to save money on your move is to be organized and prepared, knowing up front what your moving expenses will be.