What Documents to Keep After Closing
There’s lots of paperwork involved in a real estate transaction. Here is a list of the documents you should keep after the closing:
* The purchase agreement and all attachments.
* The seller disclosure form.
* The home inspection report.
* The HUD-1 settlement statement that itemizes your closing costs.
* The deed that states the legal description of the property, the seller’s name, and how the buyer holds title.
* The title insurance policy that lays out the dollar amount of the title insurance and any exceptions to the coverage.
With respect to your home mortgage, you should also hang on to the truth in lending statement that summarizes what your interest rate and monthly payments will be, as well as all documents from your lender related to money being borrowed that you are agreeing to repay.
Don’t rely on your closing agent to keep this information on file for you… personally retain these records until you sell the property.